The warm-up is the first crucial step an athlete must take before competition, practice or training. Athletes often do...Read more »
The warm-up is the first crucial step an athlete must take before competition, practice or training.
Athletes often do not take the necessary time to complete a thorough warm-up before these events. Lack of time or boredom with the process is cited as a reason for not wanting to participate in this most important task.
What is sometimes forgotten is that in order to prepare the body both physically and mentally, a well constructed warm-up is essential. An appropriate warm-up may result in:
- Increased range of motion
- Increased body and muscle temperature:
- Helps decrease muscle stiffness and lessen the risk of injury
- Increase muscle blood flow through tissue
- Increase speed of nervous impulses
- Improved coordination and reaction times
- Mental preparation for the upcoming training and/or match
Remember, a warm-up is no different than the heart of your training program. It should be changed and adjusted in order to address your needs and to stave off boredom.